Slow Cooked Pork with Brinjal Kasundi
The recipe inspiration for this irresistible slow-cooked pork came from @karen_martini. The delicious single-pot recipe requires no skill, but the result is impressive.
2kg boneless pork shoulder, rind removed and brought to room temperature
1 jar of our Brinjal Kasundi
4 carrots (peeled)
125ml water or chicken stock
2 x 400g cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed (or 650g cooked chickpeas)
1 bunch silverbeet, washed and shredded into 1cm slices
½ bunch coriander, leaves picked
400ml natural yoghurt
1. Preheat the oven to 160C fan-forced.
2. Arrange the carrots in the base of a heavy casserole pan (a Dutch or French oven) that has a tight-fitting lid and then pour in the water or stock. Coat the pork in a jar of Brinjal Kasundi and sit the pork on top of the carrots. Cover and cook for 3.5 hours, adding the chickpeas to the pot halfway through. Then increase the heat to 200C fan-forced and cook uncovered for 30 minutes to colour slightly.
3. Lift the pork out of the pan and shred into largish pieces; also, skim any excess fat from the top of the pot.
4. Spoon the chickpea-and-silverbeet braise into a large serving dish and place the shredded pork on top.
5. Scatter over the coriander leaves and serve with yoghurt on the side.